W.M.D.D. Andradi hails from Welipitiya, Panadura. He received his early education at Sri Sumangala College. After completing his school education, he entered the (then) University of Ceylon and graduated in 1950. He joined the Department of History of the Vidyalankara University in 1959. He received his post-graduate training at the School of Oriental and African Studies of the University of London and obtained his PhD in History in 1967. He served as a lecturer in Hsitory at the University of Kelaniya until his retirement in 1993 and continues to work there as a visiting lecturer. Before joining the Vidyalankara University, he served as a teacher at many schools: Wadduwa Central College, St.Joseph’s College and Ananda College, Colombo, Ananda Sasthralaya, Mathugama, Harishchandra Vidyalaya, Negombo, Government College, Mathale, and Moratu Vidyalaya.